Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Creepy Crawly Things

The late rains have finally arrived here in Tanzania; we have been having occasional showers for the past month. However, for the past week, it has rained torrents each day. The seasons in Tanzania are based on the coming of the rain; we generally have rain in abundance twice a year. The first, and lengthier rain comes in May/June and the second shorter rains come usually in October. It is not possible to travel to certain parts of the country during the rainy seasons because the dirt roads turn to mud holes and even rivers.
The rains are a celebrated event in Tanzania; with the coming of the rain people know that their crops will grow, the dust will be settled so that you don't have to sweep and dust every single day(this is a concern only, it seems, to non-Tanzanians), and things that have been brown like grass, trees, and plants will turn green with life and there will be flowers growing in profusion.
There is, however, something else that comes with the rains. I have noticed that new life is bursting forth in the insect world as well. In the mornings our porch and sidewalks are covered with wings that have been dropped from the flying insects as they hatch out and fly off in the night. I have seen all kinds of creepy crawly things both inside and outside of the house; some of them I don't remember seeing before. Some are interesting looking and some are scary looking; all are unwelcome in my house.
So, I keep my trusty can of Doom (a powerful bug spray that I am sure would be banned in the USA) and use it on those things that venture into the house.
The rains are a good thing; without them we would have drought and famine and dust and very little color in Tanzania. Water is too valuable and often too scarce of a commodity to use frivolously so it is not wasted on grass and non-essential plants. However, along with the new life that springs forth comes new life in the insect world as well; this new life I can do without. However, you have to take the good with the bad so I enjoy the green grass and trees and blooming flowers and I keep my can of Doom nearby to banish the insects that come along with all of the good stuff.
Of course, the many different species of birds in Tanzania thrive on the insects during this time of year. There are also some tribes who gather the termites in baskets when they are hatching out by the millions and cook them in hot oil; they are a good source of protein.
So, I guess beauty and value are in the eye of the beholder; as for me, I'm staying stocked up on Doom!
Be Blessed!
Joyce

No comments: