Friday, October 3, 2008

PO - KO- MO

I am trying to re-learn the Swahili I knew before and learn the rest of the Swahili that I need to communicate effectively in the remote areas of Tanzania. Although most of the pastors in and around Mwanza speak English; there are still a number of them that do not. My communication will tend to be with women and children as well; many of the women do not know English. So, I am endeavoring to learn Swahili in order to communicate effectively.
In my studies, I have reached the "Location agreements" of Po,Ko, and Mo. No, they are not family members of the three stooges; they have to do with location. "Po" is for a definite place (here), "Ko" is for an indefinite place (there) and "Mo" indicates being "inside".
So, I am working on, literally, here, there, hereabouts, thereabouts, inside, etc. As I was working on my Swahili grammar exercises I began to think about my relationship with Jesus. What location agreement would I use to describe my proximity to my Lord? The Bible teaches that we are "in" Him and He is "in" us. I hope that as I do whatever it is I do in the course of the day; whether studying, cooking, teaching, or entertaining visiting pastors, that it all has purpose and meaning because I am in Him and He is in me.
Be blessed!

No comments: